The expected outputs of the Project are:
- Output 1: Established systems and capacity for integrated and participatory river basin management. This output will include: (a) legal and institutional strengthening for IWRM and formation of a river basin organization (RBO); (b) mobilization and awareness raising of basin stakeholders; (c) capacity building and technical training for raising the RBO’s competence; (d) establishment of a Central Water Resources Information system including a Decision Support System (DSS) and an operational water quality monitoring network; and (v) preparation of a 15-year participatory Integrated River Basin Master Plan.
- Output 2: Improved riverbank environment in urban areas. This output will include:(a) 7.2 km of river corridor constructed with aesthetic river walls and recreational amenities, (d) rehabilitation of two former irrigation regulator structures, (e) improving the river channel profile around 2 cultural sites and stabilize temple ghats, (f) removal and safe disposal of contaminated and accumulated riverbed material at key sites, (f) riverbank stabilisation at Sundarijal where existing housing structures are under threat of river bank erosion, (g) enhancement and management of the riparian banks (green zones with foot and bicycle paths), and (h) enhancement and beautification of the riparian banks (green zones with foot paths and amenities areas
Further to the riparian river works in the Upper Bagmati the project provides for additional riparian river improvement works in other tributaries to the Bagmati River, including the Bishnumati River. The project will assess the feasibility for these works, providing designs of same aesthetic quality as for the Upper Bagmati, and implement the works.
Non-structural interventions will include: (i) Mobilization of local communities for adopting river stretches for river environment protection which will include prevention of disposal of solid waste along the stretches, (ii) implementation of a Communication strategy Action Plan for awareness raising and community ownership of the river, (iii) a Gender Action Plan addressing gender needs and issues; and (iv) mobilizing the private sector by project closure to maintain at least 2 km of the river stretch as a pilot
- Output 3: Increased water availability in the basin during dry season and watershed conservation. This output will include: (i) the construction of a dam downstream of the existing Dhap within the Shivapuri National Park with a storage capacity of 850,000 m3 to enable dilution of wastewater effluents and increase environmental flows in Upper Bagmati during the dry season, (b) detail design of a Nagmati Dam with the potential capacity of 8 million cubic meters (c) installation of rain water harvesting by 2500 households to provide 45,000 m3 of safe water supply and recharge 135,000 m3 groundwater, and (d) 12.5 ha of outward sloping agricultural land prone to soil erosion will be stabilised by establishing community interventions to increase water retention and reduce soil erosion.
- Output 4: Functioning flood forecasting and early warning system for the Bagmati River Basin. The provision of a Flood Forecasting and Warning System for the Bagmati Basin.
- Output 5: Efficient project management with effective stakeholder communication. This output will be achieved by setting up Project Coordination and Management Unit (PCMU) supported by a Project Management Design and Supervision Consultancy (PMDSC), which besides supporting the PCMU will assist in overseeing and supervising construction, as well as supporting the formation of an RBO.